As gifted adults, our motivation to achieve on many levels ranges anywhere from lurking somewhere in the depths of our minds to being full-in-the-face present all the time. The problem for us is not that we need to find something to work toward accomplishing. The problem is that we actually have to go out there and accomplish it.
So if we have a lot of ideas about exciting things we’d like to do or explore, why aren’t we doing them?
Maybe because we haven’t really taken the first step – making the first creation.
Before something can become real in our outer world, it has to be clear in our inner world – clear to the extent that we can actually feel what it would be like to physically experience it.
So, for example, if you want to get a new car, the first step in making that real is to imagine fully and completely what it would be like to have that car. Try this:
- Picture yourself with your new car.
- Are you standing beside it, or are you inside?
- Are you driving?
- Or are you a passenger?
- What’s the weather like outside?
- How fast, or slow, are you going?
- What does your new car smell like inside?
- What colour, make and model is it?
- What are people around you saying to you?
- What does it feel like to touch the steering wheel or the seat beside you?
- What does it like to know that you’ve finally gotten the car you wanted for such a long time?
The clearer you can envision what you want, whether that be a new car, a awesome trip to an exotic destination, a job to die for, or anything else, the more likely you are to begin setting the wheels in motion to make it really happen.
So what is it that you really want?
Give yourself a few minutes away from the hustle and bustle of your everyday life to sit down and make an internal movie of that deepest desire. Live it fully and completely in your mind, and before you know it you might find that it starts becoming part of your real life instead.
And that’s the best part!